The Hon. James L. Gale, a retired main choose of the North Carolina Enterprise Court, obtained Elon University University of Law’s 2021-2022 Management in the Legislation Award at a ceremony hosted by North Carolina Legal professionals Weekly.
A retired chief decide of the North Carolina Business enterprise Courtroom whose wealth of awareness on corporate legislation has been sought out by corporations across the region is the recipient of Elon College Faculty of Law’s leading skilled award for management.
The Hon. James L. Gale received Elon Law’s 2021-2022 Leadership in the Regulation Award on April 14, 2022, at a management awards software hosted in downtown Greensboro by North Carolina Legal professionals Weekly.
Elon Legislation has bestowed its annual management award in a banquet with North Carolina Lawyers Weekly attended by judges and lawyers from throughout the state for the newspaper’s individual Leaders in the Legislation program.
Gale’s contributions to the lawful job include things like:
- Authoring more than 200 opinions from 2011-2021 as a choose on the North Carolina Enterprise Court docket
- Serving for three a long time as chief decide just before he was named in 2016 as Senior Organization Court docket Judge, a placement designed by the North Carolina Basic Assembly
- Counseling the American Faculty of Company Court Judges, the American Bar Association’s Business Law area, The Sedona Convention, and the North Carolina Meeting of Exceptional Courtroom Judges
- Mentoring dozens of North Carolina legislation school students and graduates who have joined his chambers adjacent to Elon Law as interns and clerks
Gale started his lawful occupation as a clerk for the Hon. Franklin T. Dupree, Jr. of the United States District Courtroom for the Eastern District of North Carolina ahead of signing up for the business of Smith Moore Leatherwood, the predecessor of today’s Fox Rothschild, in which he practiced for 35 years and served as managing lover for its Raleigh and Tampa workplaces.
In 2011, Gale was appointed by Governor Bev Perdue to provide as a Specific Exceptional Court Choose on the North Carolina Organization Court docket, citing his litigation encounter with disputes involving partnership, fiduciary responsibilities, franchise, mental assets troubles, trade regulation and unfair levels of competition claims.
Gale was identified for his contributions to the lawful profession with the NCBA Antitrust & Intricate Business enterprise Disputes Law Section’s 2021 Distinguished Services Award, an honor bestowed every single other 12 months on recipients who demonstrate the maximum ethical expectations, qualified competence, and contributions to the segment and/or the fields of antitrust or advanced small business disputes regulation. He has been integrated in The Greatest Lawyers in American and has been named to Company North Carolina’s “Legal Elite” for Organization Litigation.
Law and Politics Magazine had named Gale one particular of North Carolina’s best 100 “Super Lawyers” for quite a few consecutive many years prior to his judicial appointment.
An Alabama native, Gale attained a Bachelor of Arts in literature from Florida Presbyterian University (since renamed Eckerd College) prior to completing his Juris Health practitioner from the College of Georgia wherever he graduated magna cum laude. He has been admitted to the bar in North Carolina, Ga, and Florida.
Elon Regulation Interim Dean Alan Woodlief presented Gale with the award. In his remarks, Woodlief thanked Gale for contributing to the schooling of regulation college students across North Carolina and for his direct support of Moot Court programming at Elon Regulation.
“Judge Gale’s presence as a decide on the North Carolina Business Court inside our law university making offered students a every day instance of what we suggest when we explain the purpose of a ‘legal leader’ in our profession,” Woodlief explained. “And ahead of he began his transition into retirement, Judge Gale welcomed and has since mentored his successor, the Honorable Julianna Earp.
“It is our privilege at Elon Law to know that Decide Gale’s dedication to the success of the North Carolina Enterprise Court, and the results of all regulation students who have benefited from his mentoring and wisdom, will have ahead.”
Previous Award Recipients
- The Hon. Albert Diaz (2020), judge, United States Court docket of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Janet Ward Black (2019), Greensboro attorney and former president of the North Carolina Bar Affiliation
- The Hon. Henry E. Frye (2018), main justice (retired), Supreme Courtroom of North Carolina
- The Hon. Robert N. “Bob” Hunter Jr. (2017), associate justice, North Carolina Court docket of Appeals
- The Hon. Patricia Timmons-Goodson (2016), vice chair, U.S. Fee on Civil Legal rights
- Leslie J. Winner (2015), government director, Z. Smith Reynolds Basis
- The Hon. Mark Martin (2014), main justice, Supreme Court docket of North Carolina
- Charles L. Becton (2013), lawyer/decide/increased schooling chief in North Carolina
- Fred Lind (2012), Guilford County public defender
- Michael T. Marshall and Karen McKeithen Schaede (2011), Greensboro attorneys and founding Elon Law preceptors